Sunday, April 30, 2006

Antique Lace

Hello everyone! This post is mostly for the sake of kind Heather who I know to be interested in this topic. But I hope there are others of you who will find it interesting as well.

The following photos are a few examples of a selection given to me by my Grandmother. I have yet to wash or iron them. You see, I wanted to preserve them in photographs before I try, lest anything go wrong. You can click on the small images to see larger ones, but be warned: they are quite large (for the sake of showing details) and will not be friendly for a dial-up connection.

This first picture shows the corner of a hankerchief. I'm not sure who made it or for what purpose or how, but it's pretty!

The next photo shows a hankerchief that I've had for ages. In fact, I used it as a 'blanket' for one of my dolls. Luckily, I was always very kind to my 'toys' and this piece is probably in far better condition than those that were stuffed away in drawers and closets all these years.

This next table centerpiece is made with a style I've never seen before. I cannot even fathom how it is accomplished. There is some damage around the borders, which is unfortunately beyond my skill to repair. The border, however, seems to have been added separately and the rest of the piece is in perfect (if spotty) condition.

The following image show my favourite of all these pieces. It is a baby bonnet, supposedly made by the woman who taught my great grandmother how to make such things herself. Originally, it was a much lighter colour lined in pale blue silk with a pale blue ribbon woven through the slits. I know this because there are actually several in existence (three, I think), one of which still has this lovely, if very damaged, lining. The work is so incredibly intricate that I am utterly astounded and amazed. Just look at all the tiny wee roses!

I believe that the last piece was meant to be part of a dress or another similarly feminine artical of clothing. This is my guess, anyway. I think it was made by my great grandmother.


So, there you go! Any comments or insight would be particularly welcome this time, especially if you can tell me the name of the craft that created these various items or anything about their restoration and maintenance so that they can be enjoyed for many generations to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home