Saturday, April 08, 2006

Examples of Lace Crochet


I have already shared with you a photo of my very first wearable crochet project, but I have actually been crocheting for over a year now. I learned the basics of crochet in the little village of Cinfaes, Portugal, which was something of an interesting challenge being that I barely speak a word of Portugese. Still, determination pays off.

The first doiley to the left is actually the second one I ever finished. The first one I made was a less aesthetically-pleasing pattern for beginners and now has the honour of decorating my nightstand. But this one took me ages because every step was a learning experience.

For every two rows I completed, I had to unravel a row and a half because something was wrong. Even the tiniest error while crocheting in the round like this will have exponentially magnified repercussions as the pattern continues. So I find it's always best to simply accept that undoing one's crochet is a significant part of the whole crochet process. It's fun. Really.

Yes, it is a bit twisted, but that's how it goes. Proper blocking would probably help a lot, but I'm not quite an expert with that yet. (This means that I probably do it wrong.)


The second photo shows one of the many doileys I made as Christmas presents this year. I particularly like this design. It was fairly easy to create, not very time-consuming, and I really like how it looks!

It still looks a bit twisted, which is once again due, no doubt, to my poor blocking techniques. This will improve with practice, I hope.

More recently, I've switched to thinner thread and a teeny tiny one milimeter hook, so stay tuned for more photos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home